The pandemic has many people facing job loss, reduced income and tight budgets, leading to limited food options. Those on a budget—or anyone looking for simple, well-balanced and nutritious meals—might have some ingredients growing in their own garden.
Chicken Salad With Mango
Mangoes can be used fresh, right off the tree, or frozen, dried, canned or cooked in jams, jellies and preserves, or used to make fruit leather, pies, chutney or smoothies. This salad can be made with a few mangoes, a fresh tomato, a green pepper and green onions grown in your yard.
- 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 2 cups chopped, ripe mango
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Lettuce or spinach leaves
Combine chicken, mango, tomato, green pepper and onion in a large bowl. Blend vinegar, lemon juice and sugar into yogurt. Fold into fruit/chicken mixture. Chill for two hours. Spoon into lettuce or spinach leaves. Serves 4.
- 2 avocados, halved and pitted
- 1 orange or tangerine, peeled and sectioned
- ½ cup sliced strawberries or other berries
- ½ cup chopped mango, papaya or pineapple
- 2 carambolas, seeded and sliced
- ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon skim milk