An unusual combo of sugary crepes and crisp watermelon is sure to appeal to youngsters of all ages.
Photos courtesy of National Watermelon Promotion Board
Watermelon in a Blanket
- 12 crepes, pre-made or purchased
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- 12 1-inch-by-8-inches seedless watermelon logs, drained to remove excess moisture
- 1 serving vanilla and lemon yogurt
Sprinkle one side of the crepes with cinnamon sugar. Place a watermelon log at the end of each. Roll them up and serve with yogurt for dipping.
Steel-Cut Oats With Watermelon
- 1 cup 1-percent milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 3/4 cup diced seedless watermelon
- 2 tablespoons dried tart cherries or cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Additional milk, optional
In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring the milk and water to a gentle boil. Pour in the oats and stir. Return to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes.
While oats are cooking, combine the watermelon, dried fruit, nuts and maple syrup in a small bowl.
Portion out the oats and top with the watermelon mixture. Add additional milk, if desired.
Greek Pita Flatbread
- 4 wedges seedless watermelon, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 whole pita breads, halved, or whole-grain flatbreads
- 1/4 cup prepared spreadable herb cheese
- 4 large lettuce leaves
Place sliced watermelon on paper towels to remove excess liquid. Mix chicken, cilantro, yogurt, garlic salt and cayenne. Spread inside surfaces of pita bread halves with herbed cheese, and fill each with about 1/4 cup chicken mixture.
Arrange watermelon and lettuce in pita bread.
Grilled Cheese Panini
- 4 slices watermelon, approximately 4-inch-by-4-inch-by-½-inch thick
- 8 slices 100 percent whole-grain bread, preferably chewy in texture
- 2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 6 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided into 4 equal portions
- 1 1/2 cups baby arugula
- Cooking spray
Place watermelon pieces between paper towels to absorb extra liquid. Set aside.
On each of four slices of bread, spread mustard and top with 11/2 ounces of cheese. Top with second slice of bread.
Spray cooking spray on a griddle, and grill the sandwiches on each side until cheese begins to melt. Remove from griddle, open and place a slice of watermelon and arugula. Close sandwich and cut in half. Serve.
Muffin Crumble Parfait
3 small bran muffins
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups fat-free vanilla yogurt
2 cups chopped seedless watermelon,
1/2 cup toasted, sliced almonds
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup honey
4 cups small cubes of watermelon
Crumble the muffins and divide among the bottom of four 12-ounce glasses, reserving about ¾ cup of the crumble. Mix the cinnamon and yogurt, and divide half of it over the crumbled muffin in the glass.
Divide the watermelon and cranberries over the yogurt in the glasses. Divide the remaining yogurt over the watermelon and cranberries. Split the remaining muffin crumble over the glasses, and top with honey.
Garnish with toasted sliced almonds, and top with watermelon cubes.
Watermelon Pineapple Salsa
- 2 cups watermelon, cut in 1/3-inch cubes
- 2 cups pineapple, cut in 1/3-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup red onion, cut in 1/3-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 diced jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Granulated sugar, optional
Combine watermelon, pineapple, onion, cilantro and jalapeno pepper. Add lemon juice and season to taste with Tabasco sauce, pepper and salt.
If additional sweetness is desired, add a small amount of sugar. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Watermelon Rind Slaw
- 1/4 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Dash salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups grated watermelon rind, with fruit and green peel removed
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh pineapple
In a small bowl, blend dressing ingredients thoroughly. Set aside. Place watermelon rind on paper towels to soak up excess liquid. In a medium-sized bowl, place dressing, rind, carrot and pineapple. Toss to thoroughly coat. Serve.
Watermelon Raspberry Lemonade
- 6 cups watermelon chunks, seeds removed
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
Place watermelon, raspberries and water in a blender. Cover and blend until smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a pitcher.
Stir in sugar and lemon juice until sugar dissolves. Refrigerate until chilled.
Recipes courtesy of National Watermelon Promotion Board